Saturday, April 26, 2008

Not Another iPhone Review

iPhoneThis is not just another iPhone review. I want to go over the usability of the iPhone so you can have a better idea if the iPhone is right for you. And I want to help you determine if this is the right time to get it.

I got the 16GB model a month ago. I'm glad I didn't wait.

And I know that a new iPhone is just around the corner but when you need it, you need it. Plus, I am in the middle of my two-year T-Mobile contract.

Why did I need it? My dad was recently admitted to a hospital and had to be there for a few days. I was there quite a lot and while the hospital did offer guest access to the Internet, it was spotting, slow, and had an overactive filter in place. Just like my immune system in the spring. I needed access and I wanted the iPhone. It was the perfect opportunity.

So, how do I like it? If you're reading this, you already know about the specs and probably have seen it. So I won't go into it. This is a review of the iPhone's usability.

TYPING:

Let me get the most important thing out of the way. Typing on the iPhone is no where near as difficult as critics make it out to be. In fact, I prefer it much more than the Blackberry or the Treo. Its an issue of preference and what the user is more accustomed to.

virtual keyboardGenerally, the "predictive typing" function of the keyboard allows me to type faster than when I'm using other devices. I simply glide my thumbs over the letters I want and the iPhone gives me the word I need.

Now, it does take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, you're are off flying. Apple made sure that this function works for the everyday person. Me.

Plus, not having a physical keyboard is the deal-breaker. I find that I only use the keyboard about 10-15% of the time, and as far as the rest of the time, having a large screen for video, surfing the web, or reading ebooks is a great asset.

So again, big screen from the iPhone.

MAKING A PHONE CALL (OR RECEIVING ONE):

It's a phone. Simple as that. And it's AT&T. Or if you unlocked your iPhone like I did, it's T-Mobile. What do you expect? Reception depends on where you live.

The iPhone fits comfortably in the hand. I'm not wild about the headset that came with it though.

Please note that I'm making a lot of references to the US digital phone market. If you're somewhere else in the world, your choice of provider and reception will be very different from mine.

I don't use a lot of text messaging. So, I don't have too many complaints about it. Do note that Apple not only likes to "think different", but from time to time, it also likes to "do different". I have heard some quirky things happen with SMS. I don't claim to know a lot about it. Not sure if it's Apple’s or AT&T's doing here.

Visual voicemail was a big deal that Steve Jobs made at Macworld 2007. I don't have this functionality because I've got an unlocked iPhone, and T-Mobile doesn't provide this "visual voicemail" functionality. I'm sure it is useful to have but it’s certainly not a deal-breaker for me. Probably isn't for you, either.

I can't say it's the best or worst phone out there. My guess it's probably somewhere in the middle. It makes calls. Great.

INTERNET ACCESS:

WiFi. I don't understand why more phones don't have this one simple function. When you're on the WiFi access, it's very fast. Nothing more to say. You don't need me to glorify something that's a given.

safari with multi-touchEDGE access. That's another story. Coming from someone who is used to use GSRP on my Palm V, I can tell you EDGE is plenty fast for e-mailing, updating MeBlog on Cirqo or on Twitter, checking stocks and weather, and using the location function on the map to reassure myself that I'm still within a 3/4 mile-radius of where my actual location is.

If you want to complain about the lack of 3G speed and it's so important that you get it, the iPhone isn't for you. If you're fine with decent speed, go for it.



E-MAILING:

Adequate. Nothing to see here. Move on.

Okay, it's got a regular e-mail program that's simple to use.

Now, it doesn't have "push mail". This and certain business-friendly features that are more appropriate for corporate use will be released, free of charge, in June when the software for the iPhone, iPhone 2.0, is released.

For now, the other smart phones got the iPhone beat as far as corporate usage is concerned.

WEB-SURFING:

There isn't a close second here to the iPhone. Heck, there isn't even a close third. Maybe a distance sixth? A full-featured Safari web browser with multi-touch is just perfect. You don't have to limit how you see the information from the Internet just because you've got a smaller screen than a full size LCD screen from a laptop or desktop.

It doesn't support Flash or Java. Other phones may but imperfectly.

I don't know nor do I care why Apple doesn't support these two standards. I can do without Flash-based ads.

Now, Opera's mobile implementation is decent. If you're able to download it and give it a try, do so. Then try the Safari on the iPhone. Chances are, you'll decide that the surfing the Web with Safari is more efficient and provides a richer user experience.

THIRD-PARTY SOFTWARE:

"Jail-breaking" your iPhone. It's the only way to get un-authorized applications onto the iPhone. Otherwise, Apple had pushed web-based applications. I generally find the web-based apps insufficient substitutes for traditional apps. And if you're in a place where reception is poor, you're not going to be able to connect to the web sites hosting the webapps. We're simply not there yet.

In this respect, Windows Mobile and Palm are more obvious choices for you when it comes to third party software selection.

Apple has announced the availability of iPhone 2.0 in June. A plethora of third party software will be available for installation through iTunes.

Until then, the other platforms will have a two months advantage over the iPhone.

There is also the issue of requiring iTunes. As a typical user, having iTunes serve as the intermediary between you and other software providers is a good reason to get the iPhones. Why? Because Apple has pledge to go through with a fine tooth comb over every application that is made available for download. You don't have to worry about incompatibilities or malware.

For those of you who like to ticker, you probably can still jailbreak the iPhone and install third-party software that way, same as what I'm doing now. And if you want even greater flexibility to ticker around, the iPhone will never do for you.

For ease and peace of mind, go with the iPhone.

WHY I THINK IT'S FINE TO GET IT NOW?

Isn't a new iPhone due to come out in a few months? Yes and no. Conventional wisdom says that the iPhone is due for a refresh. Everyone agrees on that point. As far as when that'll happen, it's a good bet to say between June through the end of July. A good bet but not a sure bet. If you're new to the Apple scene, you should know this: Apple likes its secrets and it doesn't let the cat out of the bag until it feels its the right time. And it always happens when you least expect it.

Here's the biggest thing about the next iPhone: 3G access. Faster browsing (no one knows how much faster). Faster downloads (download what? Apple will like limit what you can download in the name of protecting you from unfriendly elements on the Internet). However, there is the possibility that 3G phones may cost more. There is also the possibility that 3G access will cost more than EDGE access. AT&T just spent a chunck of money to upgrade or install 3G access. They'll want that investment back and then some. You can bet you'll be paying for it.

What about for people who want to use the iPhone on T-Mobile? I don't know too much about T-Mobile's 3G plans but I've heard almost nothing about it. It's why I went ahead and got the 16GB iPhone. I've got another year on my contract and I might as well go through with a great phone. And once my contract is up, I can decide in a year what I want to do. Plus with T-Zone at $5.99 a month, it's a bargain.

For those of you in the middle of wireless contract with T-Mobile or even AT&T, you're in a great position. For example, I'll be skipping the upcoming version. By that time, the third version of the iPhone could be out. Lots can change in a year. More memory. Faster access. Longer battery life.

So, if you need it now, get it. It's a great phone. You won't be disappointed.

On a personal note, I started monitoring how I use the iPhone. So, what have I used it for?

  1. Surfing the web.
  2. E-mail.
  3. Make Calls.
  4. Watching The Daily Show With Jon Stewart.
  5. Listen to audiobooks.
  6. Use it as an ebook reader.
  7. Play games.
  8. Writing notes, blogs, & manifestos. I only take my Powerbook with me when I absolutely need it.
  9. Trying to impress women with it (so far, no luck).
  10. Taking pictures.
  11. Companion research assistant.
Hope this usability review helps you to determine if you should get the iPhone and, if you decide to, when to get it. Love to hear how it goes for you.

No comments: