Sunday, April 20, 2008

Call of Duty gets a Modern Make-over

Call of Duty 4: Modern WarfareI just recently upgraded my desktop, and it has all the hardware necessary to play the latest PC games. Here is my system spec: AMD phenom Quad-Core 2.3 GHz, 4 GB of RAM (of course Windows XP can only access 3 GB of it, but that’s for another story), 512 MB Nvidia 8500GT, 500 GB SATA HD. Total cost? $550 including case, power-supply, etc. Not a top-of-line system, but enough to get by and able to play most of the graphic-intensive FPS games running at decent frame-rate.

Anyway, I am a huge Call of Duty fan. I played since CoD 1, then the expansion, and CoD 2. Never played Call of Duty 3 though, because I only play FPS games on PCs and Call of Duty 3 does NOT have a PC version. I was just so fascinated by the whole WWII setting in Call of Duty franchise, but I am also ready to move on to the next stage in world conflict, so the first thing I did after I got my new system is to install Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. I was really looking forward to play it. After installation complete, I dived right into the single-player campaign, and started playing as the British special-op, code-named "SOAP". Cool name, eh?

As the name suggests, this game takes place in a setting similar to what the world is currently going through: middle-east conflict, renegade Russian general armed with nuclear warheads, and all these good stuff. As either a British agent or US Marine, you will go on various missions such as assassination, search-n-rescue, and my favorite mission is playing air-support for ground troops from a high-flying aircraft. I especially enjoy the sarcastic comments from the co-pilot as I set the little dots (enemy personals) on the ground in seas of flames, KAAABOOOM ....



As for performance of the game, I have all the video settings at moderate levels, and I see no lag what-so-ever at all, I guess I was been too conservative, and when I play this game again, which is soon, I will try to crank up the settings to see how my system handles it under the pressure.

Overall, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is one of the best first-person shooter out there right now. Especially if you are a CoD fan, some of the cool things you can do in the game are just mind-boggling, but I don’t want to spoil too much of that for you right now, go try it out for yourself. Only negative thing I can say about this game is that the single-player mode ended too fast, I think I finished the easiest mode in less than 4 hours, I wish it was longer and I can’t wait for the next expansion of this game.

No comments: